Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My best of the 2000's

You may have noticed that it's been a while since I last blogged. The reasons for this are many. First and foremost, I've been a bit busy lately. I started grad school in September. I moved. I welcomed my third child into the world. In a nutshell, I've had a lot of ish on my plate. Second, I've been a bit conflicted in the way I feel about music lately. In short, I've been bored. Hopefully I find something to break me out of this funk, but for right now, I'm none too inspired. Thus, I'm putting this list together quickly, without much thought or care. These are my favorite albums of the decade, not necessarily the ones I think are the "best". To differentiate the two, I believe that Illinois is Sufjan Steven's "best" record, but it's not my favorite of his. I think the scope and execution of the album are remarkable, and don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but I just happen to enjoy both Seven Swans and Michigan more. To make it simple, I'm trying as hard as I can to compile a list of albums purely based on the level of enjoyment they give me, not necessarily how mind-blowing I think they are. So here it is:

20.













Wilco-Sky Blue Sky




19.













Andrew Bird-Armchair Apocrypha




18.













Great Lake Swimmers-Lost Channels




17.













The Postal Service-Give Up




16.













Coldplay-Parachutes




15.













Rocky Votolato-Makers




14.













Band Of Horses-Cease To Begin




13.













Arcade Fire-Funeral




12.













A.A. Bondy-American Hearts




11.













The Shins-Wincing The Night Away




10.













Feist-The Reminder




9.













The Decemberists-Castaways And Cutouts




8.













Iron And Wine-The Shepherd's Dog




7.













Ryan Adams-Heartbreaker




6.













Bon Iver-For Emma, Forever Ago




5.













Radiohead-In Rainbows




4.













Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot




3.













Bright Eyes-I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning




2.













Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes




1.













Radiohead-Kid A


Honorable Mention:

Elliott Smith-Figure 8
Josh Ritter-The Animal Years
Vampire Weekend-Vampire Weekend
Band Of Horses-Everything All The Time
Death Cab For Cutie-Transatlanticism
Radiohead-Amnesiac
Bright Eyes-Cassadaga
The Decemberists-The Crane Wife
Iron And Wine-Our Endless Numbered Days
M. Ward-Post War

2 comments:

Senor Boyero said...

Here are mine:

Albums-

5. In Rainbows -Radiohead

4. Elephant -The White Stripes

3. I Get Wet -Andrew W.K.

2. I'm Wide Awake, Its Morning -Bright Eyes

1. Is This It? -The Strokes



Now you need to write Songs of the decade.

John said...

I guess its not so surprising that my list is almost the same.